By Master Stylist Vicki Ogden-O’Fee
What is Henna?
Henna is not a new product to the world. The henna grown in hot climates contains more dye pigment and produces the best quality henna. The stain that is achievable from a good quality henna sourced from hot and dry climates will stain the skin the darkest and last the longest.
There are several reasons to use henna for eyebrows. The fact that it is considered a natural alternative to other chemical dyes and is plant based makes this an appealing option for colouring the brow hair creating a skin stain.
V For Hair and Beauty brow henna tinting helps to make eyebrows more expressive, disguising gaps in plucked or receding eyebrows and the additional unique ingredients help to nourish and thicken the existing brow hairs as well as strengthening and protecting the hair.
Henna brows, a striking defined look.
HOW IS HENNA DIFFERENT TO TINTING?
Aside from being a naturally derived product henna does not require an oxidising agent to penetrate the cortex and deposit colour into the hair. Instead henna acts to coat the hair with the colour, smoothing the outer layers of the brow hairs giving the appearance of thicker and darker hair.
Before and after using light brown & natural brown henna blend.
At V For Hair and Beauty we use only the best products, our henna’s are sourced form the best suppliers globally, this is not a one product suits all and we have various colours and brands to achieve the best outcome for all our client’s needs. Eyebrow henna is a natural based product that has not been tested on animals and is classed as vegan as it does not contain animal bi-products. The product is mixed without the need for a hydrogen peroxide and contains no ammonia making this a wonderful natural alternative to regular eyebrow tinting.
Preparation of the eyebrow is extremely important, and we advise for the best results to not have had a traditional brow tint 10 days prior to henna brow tint. We prepare the skin and brows with professional brow cleansers and then prime the brow prior to application.
On the day you have henna brows done they may feel a bit dark or obvious, this settles after 24 hours giving beautiful long lasting, eye enhancing results.
It is also vitally important to have your therapist give you a great shape prior and after henna tinting to remove unwanted hair. Threading is by far the best way to achieve this giving a clean precision look.
At V For Hair and Beauty Merivale we have a great selection of henna colours.
One of the key features of henna applications is to create a longer lasting skin stain giving the illusion of brow colour/hair/shape. Oil or sebum production, flaking or broken skin or the use of exfoliating/glycolic products can reduce the skin stain longevity.
Also patch testing and colour testing on other areas of the body may not represent the same result as the face area. Like when makeup sampling is applied to a hand the result on the face may be slightly different.
We always consult to get the shade to suit your skin tone.
Face Shape & Brow Shape
Face and brow shape are vitally important, our well trained professional therapists give you a consultation and advise exactly the best shape and colour for you.
Determining our clients face shape is the first step to creating the most beautiful eyebrows. Not all faces are the same and correcting a brow shape can completely alter the appearance of a client offering symmetry and style.
An oval face shape is identified by a face that gracefully tapers towards the chin with a wider forehead and prominent cheekbones. Our goal here is to complement this face shape and this is generally with a soft angled eyebrow shape. Nothing too hard or angular.
A round face shape is evident when the face width and length is almost the same from forehead to chin area with a slight increase in width at the cheek areas. Your goal here is to make the round face appear less round and the face shape longer. A high arched brow accomplishes this look. Look for a brow shape that follows a straight line to the peak of the brow and creates more vertical lines. Stay away from a rounded brow shape. This makes a round face look very round. Most customers prefer the soft angled look.
The heart face strongly tapers towards the chin with the forehead sometimes being a prominent feature. Ideally you would want to soften your clients look with curves and create a beautiful heart shape using the point of the chin as the heart bottom and the brows as the top of the heart. The curve that you would aim to achieve would be a soft, feminine and attractive curve. A low arched round shaped brow adds a natural look however if the length of the face shape is short you might like to heighten the arch a little.
A long face shape has elongated definition from forehead to chin. Sometimes a prominent chin is apparent. The ideal goal is to aid in making the face appear shorter and you can create this by using straight or horizontal shaped brows and reducing the attention brought to the forehead region.
The square face is defined as having a forehead, cheekbones and jawline almost the same width and a square or boney jawline as the prominent feature. You would want to balance this strong feature with a strong brow or alternatively soften it with curves. Generally, a thicker stronger colour and shape balances the heavier jawline. A defined sharp peak at the top of the brow makes the brow appear stronger. Angled brows create this balance. However also consider the curved brow shape, suggested for diamond face shapes. The curves soften stronger features.
At V For Hair and Beauty we take great care to get your eyebrow shape to suit your face shape. Clients are always welcome to have a complimentary consultation to discuss your individual needs.
- Do not use strong eye make-up removers for 48 hours as they may strip the colour – Please note that oil based make up remover can cause the henna stain to fade faster.
- Do not rub, pull or pick at the area treated.
- Do not allow shampoo or conditioner on the brows for the first 24 hours.
- You will want to go easy with your eyebrows when cleansing to extend the life of the stain on the skin. Obviously, if you scrub, peel etc at that area, the stain behind the brow is going to disappear much faster. Also exercise caution when applying any type of skin care products containing exfoliators (topical acne medications, retinol, lightening products, alpha hydroxy acids, etc) Keep all these away from the brows as they will strip them of their colour.
- Avoid heat treatments/facials that involve steaming for 24 hours.
- Avoid sunbathing for 24 hours, as this can cause the henna to fade or lighten.
- Avoid swimming/saunas for at least 24 hours after your treatment.
- Exposure to the sun/UV lights for long periods can cause the henna stain to fade quicker.
- If any irritation occurs, apply a clean cold wet pad to the eye area or contact a doctor.
After henna using natural brown.
Points to consider
- With the Tint, we use a traditional dye and peroxide mixture and it is designed to only tint the hairs, not the skin. Henna will not only dye the hairs but will leave a stain (for approx. up to 2 weeks) on the skin behind the brow, giving the brow a fuller and filled in look. In terms of longevity, Tint lasts up to 4 weeks on the hair, Henna can last 6-7 weeks on the hair.
- How do I know which one I might want to book? If you are someone who does not normally wear any brow cosmetics (or very little) and prefers a subtler look to your brows, then start with the Eyebrow Tint.
- If you are accustomed to a very defined and filled in eyebrow and like a richer colour, go with the Eyebrow Henna.
- Can Henna be used on the lashes as well? Yes we sure do the results are fabulous.
- If I want Henna, does it matter whether I book Eyebrow Tint or Eyebrow Henna? YES!!!! It DOES matter. In terms of length of service, these are not interchangeable. The Henna service takes our therapists longer. So please be sure to select the correct service when booking.
Follow our facebook page to find out about our discounts and special offers.