By Master Stylist Vicki Ogden-O’Fee
For years women (and some men) coloured their hair when it turned grey, but there’s a growing trend of women embracing a more natural shift in hair colour.
The deciding factors include getting tired of the time and expense of getting hair coloured, a desire to avoid the chemicals used to colour-treat hair, a different view of beauty — or all of these reasons. Social media sites like Pinterest have many pages showing women of all ages proudly wearing grey hair with blending tones, soft shades, and beautiful hues like Sand, Iris, Silver, Dove, Lilac, at all lengths, too.
For women who want to ditch the dye and transition to grey, there are a few ways to make this happen. Like any change with hair, be prepared for it to take a little time.
Clients have to know going into it, it’s a process and you just to have patience with it. It’s no different than if you have a short, pixie haircut and you want to grow it out, you’re going to go through some stages that you’re not comfortable with. It’s going to be the same as transitioning out from a single-process hair colour to embracing your beautifully soft blend grey.
The first few weeks of the roots growing out is the most frustrating time, as the line between the coloured hair colour and grey can be stark, depending on the darkness of the colour. To deal with that, we suggest sorting out a regime with your stylist, these are some of the steps we suggest,
Start thinking about your target shade. Will it suit you? Try colour swatches against your skin tone.
- Start going lighter in your base colour, this may take several visits, depending on your hair depth, budget and time.
- Highlights can be added to give an overall lighter look.
- Age blend colours are amazing at blending colour demarcation lines.
How quick and easy it is to bring in your natural grey tone depends on length of hair and colour, a woman with a short, layered hairstyle could bring in her grey in four to six months, as keeping hair trimmed helps to cut away the old colour.
It is easier for women with blonde hair to move to grey than for women who have darker colours. With blonde hair, a stylist can weave in highlights to let the new growth mingle with the former colour.
For women with darker-coloured hair, a colourist may weave in lowlights to allow the grey to come in. Depending on the texture of the hair, we might use a colour remover. It removes the depth of colour then we replace it with a lighter colour to get closer to the grey and then lowlight and weave it back in,
The process to go grey is the same for women of all ethnicities, as a colourist looks at the texture of hair and the hair cuticle. Thicker hair lets the hairstylist be a little more aggressive with hair-colour processing, while the colourist needs to be more careful with thin hair, which can break. This is where we always recommend Fibre Plex.
For women who want to go grey cold turkey or who have always used hair colour from a box at the supermarket, here are some tips.
- Stop using shampoo that is for colour-treated hair. Shampoos that aren’t marketed as colour-protectors can start to strip away colour.
- Have a consultation with an expert stylist who will be able to suggest blending colours, semi- and demi-permanent colours as well .These will give it a more translucent colour and won’t have as high of a chemical or peroxide level” as permanent colour.. As the natural grey grows in, it will be easier to see how much is grey and how much of the hair has an underlying colour. Special shampoos can help even out the tone of grey hair, to cancel out the brassiness or yellowness of grey, and bring out the brighter and whiter part of natural grey. Schwarzkopf have many in salon products perfect for this, such as BC Silver shampoo, blonde me blonde toning daily shampoo and many more available in store.
Vicki one of our master stylists is very passionate about creating fabulous colours, tones, hues on woman of all ages.
There are so many options these days. Consultations are complimentary and well worth the time to get you going in the right direction for your desired look.
So why not “go grey gracefully”…and be beautiful at every age!
Follow our facebook page to find out about our discounts and special offers.