By Master Stylist Vicki Ogden-O’Fee
Keratin-perfect hair treatment for blonde hair.
Trust the professionals
At V for Hair and Beauty Merivale, we have been performing Keratin services on our clients for a long time now. We also have other hair salons sending their clients to us for Keratin services as we have built a reputation for being exceptional with the Keratin smoothing service(s).
It is not a one treatment suits all system. So, after much market research and industry training, at V for Hair and Beauty Merivale, we have several different keratin systems we use in salon on our clients to achieve amazing results every time. If your hair is fine, frizzy and fluffy lacking shine and manageability or you have thick unruly wild hair we can help you too.
At V for Hair and Beauty Merivale, our Keratin specialists are Kumar, Ankita and Daniel.
Stylists Kumar, Ankita, Daniel.
…The Facts & FAQS about Keratin
- What Is Keratin? It’s a protein that’s naturally in your hair.
- How does Keratin Work: A stylist applies a keratin hair-smoothing solution to your hair and then uses a specialised heated flat iron to seal it in. The process takes about 90 minutes or longer, depending on your hair’s length.
- Timesaving: If you usually style your hair straight, a keratin hair-smoothing treatment could shorten your blow-dry time by 40% to 60%. Many of our clients say the service is life changing.
- Will I still need to blow wave my hair: The answer to this is absolutely, keratin is a styling aid. You will still need to blow-wave and style your hair and seal the cuticle with straightening irons, we recommend always using GHD irons. As I always say good grooming takes time and effort, but the effort is worth it.
Blow waving hair with Keratin Treatment.
- Farewell, Frizz: You can forget about frizzy hair after treatment. “You could walk out in moist or light rain and your hair won’t change, so long as you are using the correct aftercare for home maintenance.”
Keratin blow out before and after.
- Wait before You Wash: While some keratin treatments allow you to wash your hair the next day, we always advise that you shouldn’t wash your hair for three or four days after getting the treatment. That’s because the Keratin solution takes time to work into the hair and the longer you leave washing the better longevity our clients have with the Keratin treatment results.
Wait at least 2 days before washing your hair.
- Upkeep: After you get a keratin hair treatment, and after the don’t-wash waiting period, you should use sodium-sulphate-free shampoo and keratin enhanced conditioner plus a weekly at home keratin mask treatment to give the keratin an extra boost shot and to help maintain the treatment.
- If you want to prolong the treatment, watch out for sulphates and stay away from salt: While sulphates are the bogeyman in many hair-care products today, if you want to keep your keratin treatment from washing out too quickly, sodium chloride (a.k.a. salt) should also be on your watch list and yes, unfortunately, that means dips in the ocean and pool (chlorine is also hard on a treatment’s longevity) should be kept to a minimum. It’s also probably a good idea to swap in a new prescribed keratin shampoo and finishing treatment to maintain your keratin service.
Keratin smooth home hair care.
- If your goal is to reduce all your hair’s curl and have completely dead straight hair, keratin smoothing probably won’t do the trick: Keratin treatments that are safe coat the hair in a film that smooths the hair and penetrates the cuticle layer. The effect lasts up to three months depending on the environment you are in (e.g. hot sunshine, swimming, daily blow waving), other chemical processes you have done to your hair, products you use on your hair and how often you wash your hair and what with. To change the hair’s texture, you need a different chemical process called Permanent Hair Straightening. The truth is whatever your goal is and whatever type of hair you have, there’s probably a formula out there for you. If you want to maintain more body and curl, a keratin treatment formula will work best. It’s all about a solid consultation with a knowledgeable well-trained stylist.
- How Long It Lasts: Expect the results to last 2 to 2 1/2 months when following all the correct procedures
- What is Keratin/Brazilian Blow out Treatment: Brazilian blow out treatments are a great entry-level option; this is an express treatment to improve the condition of the hair by creating a protective protein layer around the hair shaft to eliminate frizz and smooth the cuticle. Making hair manageable and cuts down blow waving time.
Vicki-with Keratin Blow out treatment.
- Why have a Keratin Treatment: Keratin treatments need to be sealed into the hair; professional stylists use high-end irons where the temperature is adjusted to meet the need of the hair type and condition. Having this treatment done with Flat irons is better than overheat styling your hair day in and day out. Overusing a flatiron every day on unprotected hair is the worst thing you can do and creates porous damaged hair. If having a keratin treatment allows you to set aside your iron or at the very least use it less, the single dose of high heat to infuse the Keratin treatment may be well worth it. Plus, a good stylist will be able to vary the temperature based on your hair type, for example, a client with powder lightened hair, the temperature is reduced.
Vicki receiving blonde keratin blow out treatment.
Beware of bargain-basement keratin.
Just like anything else, you get what you pay for, and when you see a keratin treatment that’s dirt cheap, think twice. “When you pay more, you’re usually paying for a very skilled stylist (and the best product available) that can feel your hair and know what’s on it and what formula should be picked for your needs and hair type. At V for Hair and Beauty Merivale, we have done much research and staff training into Keratin smoothing treatment services it is not a one-stop shop where one treatment suits all. Our salon has several preferred brands of Keratin on offer, to suit fine hair, frizzy hair rebellious hair and violet-infused Keratin for blondes. It’s definitely also about the ironing,” says Vicki Ogden-O’Fee a master stylist
“You can have someone who is very careful about how many times the iron is passed on the hair or someone who is not as diligent.” The difference in results can be dramatic.
At V For hair and beauty Merivale we offer complimentary consultations on all services and are only too happy to answer your individual questions.
Follow our facebook page to find out about our discounts and special offers.