By Master Stylist Vicki Ogden-O’Fee
Threading is a method where a fine polyester thread is used with a firm yet gentle tension to remove unwanted hair.
The most common area to have threading done are face, neck, chin, upper lip and eyebrows.
Females can have unwanted facial hair for many reasons, these including:
- Changes in hormone production often cause unwanted chin hair on women. While all women produce small amounts of the male hormones called androgens, hair begins to grow on the chin when a woman has an overabundance of the male hormones… The cause of the increases in androgens is unknown. However, it’s surprisingly common, with estimates suggesting up to one in 10 women has hirsutism, the medical name for excess body hair in women. While all women have fine, light hair covering their faces and bodies, for some women this hair can be thicker, coarser and more visible
- If a woman has a slight hormone imbalance – for example slightly more testosterone than average – it can lead to unwanted hair.
- Female facial hair can also be genetic.
- The most common time for women to notice the sudden development of facial hair is after the menopause when huge changes in the body’s hormone balance can lead to alterations in a woman’s appearance.
- What was previously fine hair can become coarser and more visible thanks to the menopause. Ironically, while the hair on the face becomes thicker, the menopause can also lead to thinning of the hair on top of your head.
I know what you’re thinking: ‘Oh great.’ Luckily, there are lots of ways you can tackle unwanted facial hair these days. Threading is a relatively cheap and quick way to remove the hair, although of course, this will require regular maintenance.
Ankita doing facial threading on Vicki.
In threading, a thin (cotton or polyester) thread is doubled, then twisted. It is then rolled over areas of unwanted hair, plucking the hair at the follicle level. Unlike tweezing, where single hairs are pulled out one at a time, threading can remove short rows of hair. Advantages cited for eyebrow threading, as opposed to eyebrow waxing, are that it provides more precise control in shaping eyebrows and is gentler on the skin. It can be a little painful as several hairs are removed at once: however, this can be minimised if it is done correctly.
Threading allows for a more defined and precise shape and can create better definition for eyebrows. When teamed with Henna brow tinting the results are amazing.
Vicki having henna brow tinting, eyelash tint while getting facial threading done.
Threading is not a good method for removing hair on arms or legs, as the hair in those regions is typically quite coarse and there is too much to remove.
Our therapists at V For Hair & Beauty Merivale are specialists in threading.
It’s very important to know the facial hair growth pattern to optimise results with your facial threading service. Whatever the reason you have facial hair it is nice to have these unwanted hairs removed. It makes us feel better about ourselves and more confident.
Our therapists analyse the hair growth pattern to achieve optimal results for you the client.
Threading is a preferred hair removal technique for a number of reasons:
- Threading is safe. It will not harm the skin like wax and some depilatory creams can, because the top layer of the skin is not peeled or traumatized, and it does not use potentially harmful chemicals or heat. It is an alternative for people with sensitive skin or those who suffer from acne.
- Threading just pulls the hair, unlike waxing which pulls the skin, over time waxing causes the skin to loosen and develop premature wrinkles.
- Threading is suitable for removing fine as well as coarse, long as well as very short hair, which definitely gives it an edge over many methods of hair removal.
- Unlike tweezing, threading removes one clean line of hair all at once, making it much quicker and easier to shape the brows.
- Both men and woman can have brow threading and shaping. Facial threading isn’t usually recommended on male facial hair as it is too coarse in texture.
Men also have threading done to eliminate unwanted hair from the brow.
- Threading can be used to eliminate a unibrow, raise the arch of the eyebrow, or add shape and definition to the brow.
- Irritation, skin rashes or excessive redness are avoided with threading, however, the skin may get slightly reddish for a few minutes.
- Threading is much kinder to the skin and is considerably less painful than other methods of hair removal.
- Threading lifts the hair from the follicle, therefore if it is done on a regular basis, it weakens the hair follicle so hair growth becomes less dense over time, and new hair will grow finer and sparser.
- Re-growth is between 2-4 weeks, depending on hair growth. This makes threading the most effective method of hair removal on the face for everyone. If you are looking for the best results, you need to consider threading. It is known to be a wonderful option for formal events, such as weddings or simply as an addition to a regular beauty regime.
Threading is very popular for all unwanted facial hair.
As with any beauty service, it is important to look after your skin.
Regular facials will help relieve your face and décolletage of unwanted dry and dead skin cells. Staying hydrated is always important, as plump hydrated skin accepts beauty products and services better. Threading glides over the skin on plump – fresh skin.
I have been personally having threading for many years now. The service is quick efficient and very effective. Threading can be done while you are having other services done such as hair colouring, lash tinting, brow tinting, leg and Brazilian waxing.
Threading helps reduce the new hair growth overtime many clients find they need visit less often as the hair growth reduces.
As always if you would like more information or an individual complimentary consultation please book in with one of our experienced beauty therapists.
Follow our facebook page to find out about our discounts and special offers.